Sunday, March 22, 2009

Which Wolf Wins

Which Wolf Wins?

A grandfather told his grandson about the conflict that goes on inside each one of us. "The battle is between two wolves," he said. "One wolf is called Evil, and it is anger, jealousy, lies, arrogance, guilt, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other wolf's name has almost the same letters, which shows how close they are to each other. He is called Life, and that is for love, peace, truth, hope, humility, kindness, and compassion."


The grandson thought about this for a few moments and then asked, "Which wolf wins, Grandpa?" and the answer was: "The one you feed."



Life is neither good nor evil, 
but only a place for good and evil.
- Marcus Aurelius


Most folks are about as happy as they
make up their minds to be. 
- Abraham Lincoln



Bruno's commentary
The grandfather's answer sums up in a few short words the dilemma we often experience. It is not easy to be positive when things go bad, which is of course exactly when being positive is most important. But how can we change our thinking? Here's how I do it: When someone hurts me badly, I write a detailed letter to him or her, describing my disappointment, my anger, and my bruised ego. And then I read it, read it again and again, and eventually, after a few days, weeks or even months, I tear it up and never send it. This exercise draws off negativity and helps me discover the positive side of life again. It allows my "Life wolf" to win. 

Which wolf are you feeding right now?


Agree? Disagree?

  
   

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home